Tuesday May 4, 2010 06:57

Fridge Makeover

Posted by admin

by Amy Plouf

I am about to tuck in to some hummus and red bell peppers. Made possible by my new and improved, organized fridge. I highly recommend you take 90 minutes and clean out that fridge!

The healthy refrigerator http://www.wholeliving.com/photogallery/the-healthy-refrigerator

28 day Whole Body Action Plan http://www.wholeliving.com/photogallery/action-plan-week-1

So my first task for the next three days is to ….   focus on whole grains, vegetables, fruit, fish, and chicken; avoid sugar, dairy, fried foods, and other foods on the Detox Foods to Exclude list. Drink plenty of water, and ease up on the caffeine: Try green tea over black tea or coffee.

Tomorrow I will assess my fitness with some basic tests on their website. Stay tuned for that. I was kind of shocked. Here I am training for a marathon!

11 Responses to Fridge Makeover

Lora Ruggiero

May 4th, 2010 at 7:24 am

Amy, you have witnessed enough of my life and home to know how disorganized I am at just about everything – usually due to lack of time – that is a whole other story. However, the one thing I do every week is to clean out fridge and re-stock with good foods! Of course, with four kids I would never hear the end of it if I didn’t.

Since you are embarking on this 28 whole body action plan – let me know if you have thoughts on the whole sweetener/sugar thing. We love seetener in drinks i.e. tea/coffee/lemonade and can’t determine the best way to go. Ridiculous to think that we might go strictly with water – so, any advice?

admin

May 4th, 2010 at 8:03 am

First, I have to say with great anxiety that the above post by my aunt has a LIE in it. Her home is always immaculate. Every time I open a cupboard it is completely organized. I have cooked at her home and she can tell me without a thought, where every tool, dish, bowl is. You would not know she has any kids or pets, or even a husband! Hah, just kidding.

I don’t know the medical rationale behind sweeteners, but I tend to shy away from them. I don’t feel good when I have caffeine, and even when I drink Diet Coke without caffeine I don’t feel good.

Jabie and I struggle with wanting something other than water. He reaches for nonalcoholic beer! But since I have read that liquid calories are the worst for your belly, I want to try just water. You can put fun things in there. Like mint, lemon, lime, cucumber. That is what I am going to try this week.

Keep in mind, I am only about 4 hours into my water only pact!

Lora

May 4th, 2010 at 8:20 am

God bless you Amy for your kind comments!! (I was scared when I first started reading, though!)

I just finished a conversation where I stated that I was going to start drinking more water – so I am a few hours behind you. I keep looking for a magic solution to have sweetened drinks that are not too bad for you – realizing that is not the case – there is always a drawback.

So, my intention this morning was to drink more water. That did not last long, though. I was finishing off my can of diet sirra mist when I remembered that I brought limes to put in water! Oh well, I will start now.

admin

May 4th, 2010 at 8:22 am

Lora,

I just had braces put on and was told no sugar. Really, for 2 1/2 years?

Amy

Lora

May 4th, 2010 at 8:48 am

I am sitting with my lime water now – and it is surprisingly good! I wonder if I can make this small change stick? Nah, probably not!

I checked out the wholeliving website and it seems cool! I will check further when I can. How did you find it?

The braces might actually help you cut down on the sugar which might reduce cravings, no? I got my teeth bleached some time ago and was told not to drink coffe or tea – and I actually did avoid those beverages for quite a period of time.

admin

May 4th, 2010 at 9:10 am

I went on an insane magazine subscription spree and this magazine was one of them. The website was advertised within.

I think the braces will help. I vowed to be perfect when I got home with them, but once the pain started I digressed. The pain has subsided so I am ready to recommit to the rules the orthodontist provided.

Lora

May 4th, 2010 at 9:19 am

So, with all you have on your plate you have time to read LOTS of magazines???? When?? What am I missing?

I just gave up my one subscription – which I really like – to Light and Tasty magazine. It is a healthy cooking mag. But, I gave it up and decided to just get healthy recipes off sites like sparkpeople (no, I don’t work for them!).

I will also look into the wholeliving – glad you shared.

admin

May 4th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I just have a stack of magazines that are not getting read at all! Every now and then I grab one while the kids are outside or in the tub.

Lora

May 4th, 2010 at 1:41 pm

whew! I was picturing you doing ultimate multi-tasking – like reading those mags on your three hour runs!

I drank my lime water for the rest of the afternnon – even stopped for more limes on way home (they’re cheaper than lemons this week!)

Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s fitness info – I know that even if you are training in one area like running – other parts of fitness like upper body strength can lag behind. Although with your multitasking – maybe you are running with weights?

Lora

May 4th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Forgot to add that I am drinking water – but out of a plastice bottle that is not BPA free – conversation for another day?

admin

May 4th, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I really do not multi task. I don’t believe in that! So, when I run all I do is run, and gab! But you know me, when am I not gabbing?

BPA is definitely on my list of topics to discuss!

Comment Form